Friday, April 6, 2012

Easter Egg Garland.

A few weeks ago I saw these neat egg garlands on Pinterest. If you don't know about this website, you should. Although beware it can be addicting, but oh-so-inspirational. So I decided to take on these home made eggs.

First you need some supplies.
  • Water Balloons and Strong Lungs
  • Embroidery Thread (I used pastels for the Easter theme)
  • Liquid Starch (store bought or homemade, recipe below)
  • Flour
  • Newspaper


First you need to blow up several water balloons. This is much harder then it sounds, I was quite surprised! Put these to the side and make sure your cat doesn't think the balloons are fun!

Friday was moving too fast for me to get a good one. Luckily she didn't pop any. 

Next you need to make your starch mixture. I made my liquid starch from scratch. To do this you need corn starch and hot water. Mix about 1 tablespoon with 1 1/2 cups hot (almost boiling) water. Mix the corn starch into the water until completely dissolved and starting to thicken. About 1 to 2 minutes. Then add about 1/2 cup flour to the mixture to thicken even more. LET COOL! opps on my part!

Next you dip the embroidery thread into the mixture. As you pull the thread out squeeze excess liquid and wrap thread around the balloon. I think it looks best if you do this at random. Be patient! Your thread will probably tangle from time to time. You will also get the liquid starch mixture everywhere so put down newspaper. You're hands will also get sticky, so rinse your hands often; it causes less frustration.

 

 
I will warn you that this project takes longer then originally thought. I think from start to finish it took me close to 3 hours to make the mixture and set the eggs to dry. I did about 20 eggs. Also, if balloons pop or deflate before the starch mixture dries you will loose those eggs, so do extra!



Some that didn't make it. 

After the eggs have dried over night pop the balloons; if necessary. Mine were all flat by the next day. Knock out any extra residue from the starch mixture.


Finally place at random in containers or make a garland.

Happy Good Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment